1) This program contributes to the mission of the College which provides specialized programs to meet the national needs and work to develop and modernize their programs to meet the changing needs of society and to keep pace with progress in the branches of modern science.
2) Petroleum Geophysics program is the first specialized new program / geophysics and its applications in the field of petroleum in Egyptian universities.
3) The program aims to prepare a graduate with a high ability of free scientific thinking and combines scientific theories and special skills in the exploration and exploration of petroleum raw materials based on theoretical and applied geophysics to meet the needs of companies and production and research bodies working in the field of petroleum geophysics in various fields of work in the oil and natural gas industry…
Why study ……?
1) The program depends on the credit hours system, which gives a distinguished graduate – because the student has the right to study some hours of elective courses.
2) The program depends on specialized professors in different geophysics branches, both from the college or oil companies – to acquire the student a set of scientific and educational skills that qualify him to the labor market.
3) The program depends to a large extent on the permanent cooperation between the Department of Geophysics and oil companies, whether in the field of teaching or training.
4) Therefore, the program gives the student an appropriate dose of practical and field training during the years of study in some oil companies – which earns him the skills necessary to work in such companies or similar after graduation.
5) The program focuses on a set of practical courses in which lecturers from oil companies are lecturing, which in turn increases communication with the specialized agencies.
6) The subject of the program is new and constantly updating due to the continuous development in all fields of geophysics. Therefore, the program was introduced to the needs of the labor market for such disciplines.
The Academic Program :
- Total Credit Hours for graduation: Min=153……..
- Number of Credit hours per academic year: Min= 35 Max= 42
- Number (average) of Credit Hours per level/semester: ~ 39 Hours
- Total Number of Levels: 4
- Language(s) of Instruction: English
- Degree: Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Geophysics
Department of Geophysics…………………………………………………………………………
First: Working the Petroleum sector in the Egyptian and non-Egyptian oil companies according to the efficiency and the required standards.
This area is considered one of the most famous jobs – it is a dream for a large number of students and students in the field of earth sciences. The companies concerned may be:
1) Ownership Companies: Companies possess the rights to acquire the concession of exploration in specific geographical areas according to contracts with the Ministry of Petroleum. For most Arab countries, the majority is foreign investment companies and sometimes these companies require a certain number of years of experience.
The most important jobs in these companies are:
Well Site Geologist – Geophysicist – Petrophysicists – Reservoir Engineer -Petroleum Engineer
2) Mixed companies: companies that are established in the stages of well development between national companies affiliated to the ministry and between foreign investment companies.
3) Service companies: companies that carry out certain services required by the owners or mixed companies (AABR registration services – drilling services contracting services – child registration services – drilling fluids preparation services) – data processing services … etc.
The most important jobs of these companies:
Mud Logger- Mud Engineer -Wireline logger-LWD / MWD Engineer-Processing Geophysicist – Bit Engineer.
Second: Working in the field of mining in mining companies: The process of mining in the foundation includes the extraction of raw materials from the ground and how to address them for use in many other industrial fields.
Third: Research Institutes:The field of research includes many different functional fields, for example (soil properties, seismic monitoring, earthquakes, how to deal with them, and many other research activities).The most important research
Institutes in Egypt:Nuclear Energy Authority & National Authority for Remote Sensing & Space Science & Petroleum Research Institute – Ministry of Petroleum & Mineral Resources & National Institute of Astronomical & Geophysics Research & Groundwater Research Institute &…
Fourth: Geologist in water and drilling companies
Fifth: in the field of construction and geophysical engineering consulting companies
Sixth: Archeology: where multiple geophysical techniques are used
Seventh: The field of teaching: Teaching both in the university and the school as a field of employment is quite a large group of graduates of the faculties of science in different disciplines.
High School Diploma with the required grade for admission to the Faculty of Science.
Selection Based on 1) Highest grade in secondary school 2) Highest degree in English
September; every academic year
Filling out the Application Form, First screening and choosing the highest grades’ students.
Study Plan / Curriculum
|Total Number of Hours per Level||# of hours for Electives||# of hours for Compulsory Requirements||# of hours for University Requirements||Level|
|Total Number of Hours|
- Egyptian student: The accredited hour is 385 Egyptian pounds (to increase annually by a specified percentage) in addition to the administrative fees and the expenses of the university.
- Non-Egyptian foreign student: The accredited hour is 500 Egyptian pounds (to be increased annually by a specified percentage) in addition to administrative fees and university expenses for expatriates.
1) Participation in attending conferences in and outside the college.
2) Holding workshops at faculty and outside the college in some oil companies
3) Participation in scientific competitions organized by international and local bodies.
4) The annual summer training especially for the third level students after they have passed a sufficient amount of specialized study for some courses required in training.
5) Scientific trips and other recreational activities …
The Program Coordinator/ Prof.Dr. Ahmad Sobhy HELALY
Phone: 0109 – 444 – 7099 Email: Ahmad.Helaly@sci.asu.edu.eg